Friday, September 16, 2011

Life's Rough Draft


According to Miller, ambition is your drive to continue your story. It makes us desire to find something or to win something. Our story cannot be a good one without it. Our ambitions define us, or perhaps we define our ambitions. No matter which of these is true, it is undeniable that we all desire to have a better story, especially after a taste of a good story in our lives.
Like most teenagers, I wanted a cool job. Maybe I would be a soldier, a professional hunter, or even a martial artist, something that would be exciting and fun. I eventually aspired to be a writer and a teacher of writing. Now I get to create the martial artist, the expert hunter, and the valiant soldier; I am still driven to search intently for new worlds and personalities.
My search for story could be quite literal. My story is made up hundreds of other pre-made stories. I could never forget the feelings of revelation in me when I read the few final chapters of Thr3e by Ted Dekker, or when my sister and I discovered we could go into the nearby woods to play.  My story will always be changed by the mind blowing effects of The Matrix, as well as the mind blowing effect of learning we were going to be moving.
The changes that have happened in me are permanent, but they too might be changing in their own way. My story so far has been a rough draft, always changing and leading up to now. I still love the kind of hero who is unstoppable, but now I prefer him to be unstoppable only with his great allies. I still crave noble adventures played out by noble men, but I want the hero to be flawed. I want action and precise deadly skills, but they don’t have to be deadly specifically to bad guys.
My story is changing, and I personally am changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment